Sunday, May 10, 2009

The G-Man's Tomato Garden

Today the G-man decided he wanted me to take some photos of his gorgeous tomato plants. So the family, G-man, Gertie, & I went out to take photos. Miss Kitty was hiding out somewhere or laying in wait for some unsuspecting bird or mole. She likes to stalk little things.

Aren't the tomatoes looking good and healthy. Right now we'd have to enjoy fried green tomatoes if we wanted to eat some. Soon they will be ready. The plants were put in the ground in early March. There were a few nights when we had to cover the plants for fear of a frost killing them. But they have survived & are getting very tall.

I encouraged the G-man to plant early because last year we waited until late April to plant and the weather turned very hot in May so none of the blooms set. This year we got a head start.

Usually the tomatoes are getting ready in July when we are beginning to think about leaving for a cooler climate. When that happens we don't get to enjoy the fruits of his labor. I think this year will be different.

Gertie is looking admiringly up at the G-man. She thinks he's a pretty neat dog-daddy.

Early Girl Tomatoes is what was planted and should mature in 52-62 days according to the label.

I think the blooms are very pretty.


Yes, I think early in summer we shall be enjoying home-grown tomatoes from our garden.

15 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy
nothing can compare to a home grown tomato - say that TOM ART O ...

G man must have G fingers - GREEN

happy tomato days

Bee said...

Those are some big tomatoes! (What is your favorite thing to do with them?)

Last year, our tomatoes looked great . . . but then July and August were cold and wet and they never really ripened. It's the heat that counts, apparently.

Natalie said...

Yummeeee! Cute little G-family.I hope you enjoyed your day as Mom to your furry babies. xx♥ :D

Unknown said...

Wow-- tomatoes at that stage in early May! Nice growing season you have there.

A Cuban In London said...

My, that's a gigantic tomato. It reminds me of 'Green Fried Tomatoes', the movie. Many thanks. And I agree with Delwy, home-grown tomatoes are a delight.

Greetings from London.

Delphine said...

Hello Lizzy, I think that not only your tomatoes are lovely, but your G man looks so nice too, obviously your little dog thinks so! Our tomatoes are way behind yours!

Seeker said...

WOW, what a great work G man and you have done, dear.
Beautiful plants and blooms!!!

xoxo

cherokeefox said...

Wow-I am just now getting a couple of SMALL tomatoes going. We have had so much rain and hardly any sunshine the past 2 weeks so mine are behind. He'll be feeding his whole family and friends for sure!

Carol Murdock said...

Lizzy...WOW! great garden!Thanks for coming by The Porch!
Carol

Anonymous said...

Those look great - ours aren't that far along here, but I'm sure looking forward to the crop.

Girl Tornado said...

Those are some beauteous tomato plants! :) Gertie is a cutie-patootie, and she does appear to look up to G man quite admiringly.

Renee said...

Could you please send the G man to my place to plant some tomatos that will grow into giant tomatos the size of volleyballs.

They look huge Lizzy.

Thank you for the award. I love it.

Love Philosopher No. 2

xoxo

Bella Sinclair said...

Lizzy, Lizzy! That is a fabulous tomato garden, and they are looking really beautiful. Not a blemish on them! They look like they will be sweet and juicy. YUM! And congrats on all your latest awards! You deserve every one of them. :)

Ces Adorio said...

Ah G-Man is a good man! I am sooo jealous! We had two tomatoe plants and my husband got so busy and left them out on the deck and of course our puppy played with the pots so the poor tomatoe plants were no more! My BIL is giving me some though and I love tomatoes! Happy eating!

Fun with Bo said...

Delicious! I could certainly chomp on some of those ;)