Gertie's leash in my left hand, and a small camera in my right.
You can see to the top of the first rise in this photo.
The little truck has Texas plates indicating it is an antique automobile.
I wonder if it in in working order?
Yesterday Gertie & I walked at 1 PM which put this road in bright sunshine.
It was too hot to walk then & we were both panting when we finished.
Later I found that the heat index was 106 for the day. Whew! I won't do that again!
It is probably private property so we won't go down that road.
They have pretty yards even in this dry weather.
I suspect it caught a little shower last week otherwise it would be totally brown.
Look at the way the trunk is curved at the bottom.
The roots can also be seen spreading outward.
It looks like a cross section of the hillside was done for an experiment.
18 comments:
106...yikes! Lovely walk, though. And your new header pic is ((WOW)) Really stunning.
No, you didn`t tire me at all! (I did not have the heat to endure, and all the climbing). I thoroughly enjoyed that beautiful walk through your neighbourhood and your comments on everything, the trees, the houses, Gertie. A lovely walk, thank you very much. You live in a beautiful area.
ooh, wow!!! what an incredibly wonderful little jaunt up and down and all around!!! thanks so much for taking all of us with you! i'm a texas girl of sorts myself [mostly louisiana], having lived all over that wonderful state many many moons - and i so miss it's simplistic beauty - absolutely loved the photos of the trees with their roots showing - gorgeous - and makes me appreciate that much more their lives on our planet - love your blog - so nice to visit - jenean
I'm with willow. That's a great new header picture. All those pine trees and red dirt remind me of east Texas.
Hot enough for you? I used to work in the California deser area of Palmdale. Always too hot in the summer, even with air-conditioning. Lovely walk.
Willow, thanks, I'm happy you like the new photo. It is one of my favorites.
Angela, so glad you enjoyed the walk & didn't get too tired... those hills can make the calves of my legs hurt. Gertie's little legs are shaking when we get back home... she's no youngster you know.
Gypsy... yes seeing the hardship of these trees & shrubs does make one grateful.
Ellen... thanks. That banner photo has a cooling effect in this heat. And yes the land does look like east Texas. You know this is known as the "lost pines" area. I think it was once connected with the pines of east Texas.
Rosaria, yes, a giant YES, it IS hot enough for me! I just try to have cooling thoughts and every now & again ask the G-man when we are going to Oregon!?
Great photos--that pine with the coiled exposed root is quite amazing.
hello lizzy, the header is stunning!! i loved the walk with you. it feels like some parts of central ontario for me. i love the old international scout truck even though i don't drive. if i have to drive i want an old truck. a plug ugly old car. the trees growing out of red clay . . . how? how do they survive. they inspire me. thanks so much for this dive inside the lifetime of your neighbourhood. you are so very very fortunate - but i know you know it. it is beautiful there lizzy. have a peaceful evening. steven
John, yes isn't that coiled pine incredible. I just don't know how these things happen. Where there is a will to live...
Steven, thanks for dropping by my blog. That old Scout is fun looking; I wonder if it runs. I am lucky to live in a lovely, peaceful place. We do wish for rain. Today we totally lost another tall pine tree beside our house. It is so sad to think we may loose them all or go broke trying to water the ones closest to the house.
Thanks for sharing your Texas neighborhood with us. My surroundings are very similar. I wouldn't be walking in that heat, though; I love my early morning walks.
Wow, Lizzy, that was one heck of a walk! So glad we went in the morning with 100+ to come later! Very pretty neighborhood. I liked the slanted terra cotta pot with tall green grasses growing in it among the trees. Hope you don't get a drought which might be followed by some sort of watering restrictions. Love the new header! The teal paint matches the side bars perfectly! and the green cacti and blue textured wall compliment it.
Love the header! I live in a red clay belt and strangely the tomatoes love it! Great walk and pics!
Alaine, oh yes, it's best to walk in the mornings. Anything past 9 AM and it will get too hot.
Margaret, I'm glad you enjoyed the walk. I'm afraid we are in a drought. It has been 2 years since we had any meaningful rainfall. We have voluntary water reductions now, but if the autumn doesn't bring relief things will get extreme.
Such fantastic pictures!
You got talent girl ;)
And that new header is so cool!!
Love
xoxo
Hi Lizzy
It was a great walk and so enjoyable to see your surroundings. Although you have posted pics of your home before I have often wondered what the surroundings are like....
How far out of town are you?
Your header is very colourful and Texan...
Happy days
Thank you Seeker. I love that photo of the old house & cactus. I took it in the Old Town area of Tucson, Arizona.
Delwyn, thank you. I live just about 1 miles out of the town proper. The older part of town is about 3 miles away. We live in the pines that was semi-developed about 20 years ago. The Pine Forest Golf Course is 1 mile from our house & situated along the Colorado River. It is very peaceful here yet close to shopping, etc.
Post a Comment