Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Sage in Bloom...


The sage in bloom

Is like perfume

Deep in the heart of Texas.


The bees are getting drunk of the sage nectar.

The black swallowtail is drinking from the purple lantana.


The sage & agave are beautiful together.

Gertie looks out the window as I photograph
the sage & prickly pear cactus in front of our house.
Gertie always knows where I am...

Deep in the Heart of Texas
(listen to the tune by clicking on the old Decca record in the sidebar... there are 3 other YouTube broadcasts also... including a boogie-woogie piece, oh yeah!)

The stars at night are big and bright
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The prairie sky is wide and high
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The sage in bloom is like perfume
Deep in the heart of Texas.
Reminds me of the one I love
Deep in the heart of Texas.

The coyotes wail along the trail
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The rabbits rush around the brush
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The cowboys cry, "Ki-Yippee-Yi"
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The dogies bawl and bawl & bawl
Deep in the heart of Texas.

8 comments:

ellen abbott said...

Beautiful.. I did a river trip on the Pecos one October and the area had had enough rain for the sage to be in full bloom. The hills were purple. It was an incredible sight.

Bee said...

For all the times I've heard this song, I never knew any of the lines after the first two! The sage and agave really are a nice pairing.

p.s. My girls just flew back to England today after a visit with their Texas grandparents. They think it feels really COLD here!

steven said...

oh lizzy beautiful pictures. i have russian sage in my back garden by the pool. i love the smell of it. cactus growing right htere!! wow! how cool!! but it's the sage flowers that are the most beautiful piece of this post lizzy. so fragile!!! thanks for this! have a lovely evening. steven

Kathryn Magendie said...

Lovely!!

Much of my family lives in Arlington TX and I have a sis in law in Houston!

CAMISOLA PRETA said...

Love the sage! I have some in my backyard and I just love the smell of it!Beautiful pictures...

Val said...

we have wild sage growing over northern botswana - the scent is so evocative for me. Sand and sage - we have plenty. So now i will think of texas too

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy

the sage has a soft little flower - very pretty

We have a lantana, not unlike that one, but it is termed a noxious weed...

Happy days

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Seems to me it is people like you who are the real heart of Texas.