Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bison & Longhorns

On the way home from our golf outing coming along rural Hwy. 20 we passed a ranch with Longhorn cattle and Bison having their evening meal.



Bison or Buffalo if you prefer




Longhorns

Longhorn Calf

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pix-- we do have a few buffalo ranching outfits up here in Idaho & in eastern Oregon. They really are fascinating creatures.

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy - What amazing animals those bison are. Excuse my ignorance but what do they farm them for?

Cheryl Cato said...

John, I would imagine bison are seen more in your part of the world than in mine. I've seen herds in Utah and of course at Yellowstone, where they roam freely.
Delwyn, these few on this ranch may be just there for fun; however, bison meat is sold in meat markets. I buy ground bison rather than ground beef. Bison has much less fat and than beef. Some restaurants sell Buffalo Burgers.

Unknown said...

We don't see them wild up here, tho I have seen them wild in Wyoming & Utah, too. As you say, Buffalo meat is considered a healthy substitute for beef.