Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

Parade

Today is Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Carnival or Fasching however your culture or religion refers to the Tuesday before the beginning of the Christian Lenten Season. In New Orleans Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras is celebrated in a big way.

For many this Tuesday is referred to as Shrove Tuesday and the day is associated with eating foods such as pancakes because it uses up ingredients like fat and eggs which was traditionally restricted as part of ones diet during Lent. Many churches have a pancake supper on Tuesday night before entering Lent. At that time Palms are burned to make ashes for use on Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Ireland, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and the United States celebrate this day before entering into the fasting season of Lent.

I lived in Germany for a time and found the fun and excitement of Fasching quite to my liking. I think this was my first encounter with the celebration that takes place before the beginning of Lent. There the drinking of schnapps was a good part of the celebration!

A few years back I had the opportunity to be in New Orleans during the time leading up to Mardi Gras. It is so much fun to be a part of the parades that wend through the neighborhoods. There are lots of highly decorated floats, bands, and colorful beads and coins being tossed from the floats. I think one of the objectives is to acquire as many beaded necklaces or doubloons as possible.

No matter what your beliefs, I hope you have had a great Tuesday!

Jazz band

On the sidelines

Strutters

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice "Fat Tuesday"-- good background & nice pix.

Angela said...

Oh so you lived in Germany for a while? Was it around München? There it is called Fasching, whereas on the Rhine people call in Karneval. Have you picked up any German? Tell me more! Up here in the North we don`t celebrate, except for the children who love to dress up. But it is very much a Catholic custom.

Fire Byrd said...

No parade here, just a big plate of pancakes, lemon and sugar for Alex..... YES!
oh and three for me.
xx

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Last year at this time I was in Guatamala. They also honor this time of year by laying flowers in the street,dressing in costume...quite beautiful.

Renee said...

I love being taken away to mini adventures and holiday places, especially when we had a huge snowstorm last night.

xoxoxo

Joanne said...

I stopped by a day late for the festivities! Hope a good time was had by all. Great photos, too.

Natalie said...

Wonderful post as usual, Cheryl. I am learning so much from you. Too,too fun!xx♥♥