Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dear Heart





















Gerald at the Eiffel Tower, December 2009

Happy birthday, dear heart,
You mean so much to me.
Wherever in the world
Would I be without you?

They say a poem
Need not rhyme,
But should only reflect
The feelings in the heart.

It's quite astounding
That we found each other
Although we lived only
A few miles apart.

Without close inspection
One would think we had little in common
But upon reflection
We are meant for each other.

I'm a little ditsy, not clear, not calm
You are a rock, deliberate, charming.
Perhaps it's the opposite that attracts
Nevertheless we are very happy.

We enjoy traveling
Learning new things.
We have an appreciation
For each others needs.

So for five years now
We've laughed and we've loved
We've traveled and we've played.
My birthday wish is for this to continue.

Play a game of golf,
Visit with your friends.
Enjoy the day, the week, the month
Have a beautiful birthday, dear heart.

• ~~Love, Cheryl

2 comments:

Natalie said...

How beautiful.

Many Happy Returns! Gerald.xx

Angela said...

I only found this poem now and am deeply touched. Congratulations from far away! I feel the same way about my husband (of 40 years), and I wish you as many happy years to come!