Thursday, February 12, 2009

Black Swallowtail and Gotta go! Gotta go!

Black Swallowtail

Well I searched around online and found that my butterfly is a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes). There had been some guesses that it is a Monarch, but it's the wrong time of year for Monarchs. It's actually too early for Monarchs to be in Texas. The Monarchs migrate through central Texas in October and March. Come to Texas in the autumn for the Texas Monarch Watch.




One autumn I was camping on a ranch just north of Austin and hundreds of Monarchs flew in, landed on the trees, & spent the night. The next morning as the sun dried the dew from their wings they took off on their way to Mexico. One of my favorite books to read to children (I was an elementary school librarian) is Gotta go! Gotta go! by Sam Swope. It is the story of the migration of Monarchs into Mexico. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go to Mexico! I just love that book.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

How utterly beautiful. I lurve butterflies.
Might have to have a read of that book! :Dxx

Delwyn said...

Good morning Cheryl
I followed you home from Reya's place and am reading your recent postings. I was interested to see the big turkeys on your Feb 6 posting. You may be interested in the turkeys on my post today - I am writing from Qld Au.

Barbara said...

Beautiful butterflies! I am always looking for good ideas for reading to children at a homeless shelter where I volunteer. I'll bet they would be fascinated with monarch butterflies!

Angela said...

Must rty to get that book! I always look for such books to read to my English pupils! And I think I might like it myself! Think how it must be to be a butterfly...

Renee said...

I always assumed you were a teacher. How I love a librarian. One of my favourite people growing up was a librarian at our local library.

The butterfly is beautiful.

Love Renee