Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spring is on the way

Visit the YouTube player on my sidebar to learn more & hear the sounds of Sandhill Cranes. The one titled "Nature Photography: Sandhill Cranes" is narrated by the photographer. I do not know her name, but the sounds of these birds is very distinctive. It's a great watch. (Be sure to pause my Playlist so it won't interfere with the Nature clip.)

It is official that spring is coming to Texas. Most people check to see what Phil, the ground hog, is doing to determine if we'll have more cold weather. Here in central Texas when I hear a tremendous amount of racket w-a-a-a-a-y up in the sky I know the Sandhill Cranes have begun their migration from the Texas coast back to their staging area on the Platt River in Nebraska prior to returning to their breeding grounds in northern Canada.
Normally this happens around or just after the end of February, but today 2/3/09 several flocks came up the Colorado River and turned northward flying over the golf course and my house headed for their breeding grounds. This must mean we are in store for an early spring here.
My husband & I attend the "In Celebration of the Whooping Crane and Other Birds" festival in Port Aransas, TX the end of February. There we always see some Sandhill Cranes and soon after we return home we hear them migrating overhead. I guess there will be few to be seen this year when festival time rolls around.

Photograph of Sandhill Cranes was taken by me at the Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge on the Pecos River just outside Roswell, New Mexico. Visit the International Crane Foundation site on the Web for more information on Sandhill Cranes.

PS - In thinking about the migrating Sandhills, I want to add that when migrating one can barely see them in the sky. They fly so very high, catch the thermals and zoom away. The only way to know they are overhead is to hear the incessant noise they make. It is exciting to hear them coming and then search for them in the sky.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

It sounds really beautiful where you live, Cheryl.xx

Fire Byrd said...

Spring.... PAH! There's non stop snow falling here today.
xx

Angela said...

Oh, I would have liked to attend that crane festival! We have cranes here, too, and our former house used to lie directly under the flying routes of wild geese and ducks - I love the bird swarms. Did you ever read Nils Holgersson? Those pictures are beautiful. I also hope for an early spring!

Angela said...

Hey, I wrote you a comment about cranes, where has it gone??
But here is another addition: Thanks to you I managed to post my awards onto my blog! Not on the exact place I wanted them (my followers should be first), and I don`t know if they`ll stay, but at least I managed! Thank you for your help!

Angela said...

What`s going on here? I wrote you two comments, and none has appeared!

Cheryl Cato said...

Thanks for your notes ladies. Angela, I just 20 minutes ago woke up! I posted at 11 PM on Wednesday & it is not 7:30 AM on Thursday, tee, hee, hee.
I have not read Nils Holgersson and will look him up online. Happy you got your award posted, I'll check it out in a few minutes. The way I adjusted mine was to go to the layout page, put my cursor on the intended gadget, right click, & just drag it downward to be under your followers gadget. See it that works.
Fire Byrd, as you've seen me mention any precipitation would be welcome here... we are in the most sever drought ever!
Natalie, it is a pretty area where I live. I just don't like raking and hauling away the ka-zillions of pine needles that land in our yard & on our house!

Angela said...

Thanks Cheryl, I`ll try. ka-zillion is a nice word! Very telling. Nils Holgersson was a book written by Selma Lagerlöf in Sweden, and I have a book with photos (taken from a film I think)where little Nils travels around on the wings of a goose which accompanies a flock of wild geese. An enchanting story. S.L. got a nobel prize for it.

Rosaria Williams said...

Cheryl,
Lovery pictures! I take back what I posted this morning. Stopping by and reading posts and comments is SO MUCH FUN.

Tess Kincaid said...

It's a different world w-a-a-y down there in Texas. It's still very much winter up here.

Renee said...

Good evening doll:

The words always come first and then I put in the appropriate picture.

However, on Wednesdays when I do that Wednesday's Women I take the picture and then I write what I think is going on in either her life or her head.

But for me it is always the words first.

Love Renee

Renee said...

Yes, fun it totally is. Or a release from certain feelings for sure.

I love you banner picture. xoxo

Renee