
From Truman, Chapter 14 Mr. President, pp. 660-661
June 1948 in his run for presidency against Thomas Dewey.
"Understand me when I speak of what the Republicans have been doing. I'm not talking about the average Republican voter," Turman told the 25,000 people spread across the lawn of the State Capital at Denver.
"Nobody knows better than I that man for man, individually, most Republicans are fine people. But there's a big distinction between the individual Republican voter and the policies of the Republican Party.
"Something happens to Republican leaders when they get control of the Government...
"Republicans in Washington have a habit of becoming curiously deaf to the voice of the people. They have a hard time hearing what the ordinary people of the country are saying. But they have no trouble at all hearing what Wall Street is saying. They are able to catch the slightest whisper from big business and special interests."
Now doesn't this all sound just tooooo familiar?
3 comments:
This post opens a very difficult conversation, the one between parties, and ideologies. And yes, there are some major differences between the two. I know very many people who are Republicans, from teachers to retired military. Most of them are loyal and independent, self assured and hard working. None of these labels are uniquely Republican. They even believe in helping neighbors less fortunate. What separates them from the Democrats, I think, is the level of tolerance.
During the last eight years it was this area the Republicans used to drive a bigger wedge of discord. They used 'marriage', 'right to personal health choices', 'faith', all areas of private beliefs, to separate people. As a teacher and catholic, I was truly offended by the politics of division. America's founding principles of freedom and equality and equal protection were being questioned.
That's what drove a major wedge between the two parties. Most of us, in our core, want the opportunity to worship and associate and cherish those freedoms too much to stand by and let a party rip them away from us, concentrating power under the guise of protecting us.
Thank you for giving me a chance to respond to your post. And thank you for bringing up such important information.
sixtyfivewhatnow.blogspot.com
I have been reading "Truman" and was struck by the language and how it resonates 60 years later. There are several places in this history with passages that apply to the here & now. I just hope that in the next few years we will be able to come together as a country, cross partisan lines, and find the common focus to redefine our country. It always seems to be the extremists whom we most hear. Now it is time to hear everyone.
Thank you for your comments. I too was offended by the statements that were meant to divide us ... to insinuate that if we did not think as they we were somehow less patriotic and less American than our Republican counterparts. I truly hope we Democrats & Independents do not try to drive that same wedge.
That could have been written today. I guess a leopard does not change its spots.
I really like that because it is so relevant.
xoxo
Renee
Post a Comment