

Tonight my husband & I picked up our friends to go out to dinner. We live in an area with woods filled with pine trees, oaks, cedars, etc. It was almost 6 PM as we drove along the road by the Colorado River. I was looking across the river at the ridge above it and saw a cat walking along. "Stop, stop the car! Get out the binoculars!" My husband did as I asked & sure enough along the ridge strode a large bob cat. He never dashed for cover, just lumbered along. It was the first bob cat I had ever seen. Everyone else has seen one or two that live along the river and walk across the golf course from time to time.
The three in the car had been talking about today's golf match and how 2 owls hooted after Gerald made a birdie on the sixth hole. He gets the idea to drive down the dirt road toward the area were they heard the owls. Nothing but bare trees. We turned the car around to go on to dinner when low & behold I spotted a huge owl sitting on a tree branch in the dense part of the woods. Again we slam on the brakes, get out the binoculars, & take a look. This beautiful barred owl is just sitting there looking at us. He turned around with his back toward us and we could see the beautiful brown & white feathers.
It was two exciting finds on a short little trip on the way to dinner. What fun!
5 comments:
What wonderful pictures to share with us.
Absolutely beautiful creatures, good spotting for sure.!
Glad to see you love your life, that's refreshing to read about. Good for you. :D
How wonderful to spot these creatures. .
All I get on my walks are foxes, rabbits and squirrels,with the very occasional badger thrown in the mix.
Spotting creatures is great fun-- especially when they "appear out of nowhere." Always so memorable-- my wife Eberle & I have wonderful memories of such moments out here in Idaho.
An excellent post-- thanks.
J Hayes
It's always so exciting to find wild creatures in the spaces we thought were ours. My dog and i were out walking in the woods at dusk a couple of months ago and a huge owl flew over and landed in the tree up above us. (My dog went nuts.) It made my entire week!
(Word verification is Slygo: A conniving gent from a certain Irish county.)
Post a Comment