In one week we in the United States will have a new president, one who offers change. Barack Obama ran his campaign on CHANGE, but I think he also ran it on FAITH & HOPE. If we do not have faith and hope how can we have change? Change is obscure. According to Merriam-Webster Change is: 1 a: dark , dim b: shrouded in or hidden by darkness c: not clearly seen or easily distinguished : faint <obscure markings>2: not readily understood or clearly expressed.
Change is scary, frightening. To say we want change is to have faith and hope in the person who offers that change. But that person has to offer something concrete in the way of defining what changes are to be brought about.
I have faith and hope in Barack Obama. I have faith that he will bring about changes that will better our country, our economy, our standing in the global arena. I have hope that he will maintain the level-headed vision that he has for our country.
As a product of the deep South, I never thought I'd see an African-American become President of the United States in my lifetime. There has been so much hatred toward Blacks in our country for so long, but I am extremely happy to see Barack Obama become our next president. I have hope that we can keep him and his family safe over what I hope will be 8 years of service by him.
I don't know if the United States has ever officially "apologized" to the children of the African-American slave that we had, but perhaps this election of Barack Obama is the apology.
There is a wonderful article in the Huffington Post today about Australia and America: A Shared Hope and Changed Attitude that is worth a read, check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment