
Recently I watched "Annie Hall" on Turner Classic Movies. What a great show still after all these years. It came out in 1977 (32 years ago) and some of the lines in it are still as fresh today as they were all those long years ago and 3 husbands ago.
Alvy Singer on relationships after seeing Annie for a coffee & to reminisce about old times: [last lines]
Alvy Singer: [narrating] After that it got pretty late, and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I... I realized what a terrific person she was, and... and how much fun it was just knowing her; and I... I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs.
So, even though losing important people in our lives we persist in the search for relationships because like Alvy says, "most of us... need the eggs". I know I do.
1 comment:
1977 was 32 years ago?? Holy cow. I guess it was.
Annie Hall is one of the most perfect movies ever made, in my opinion. I include it with classics like Casablanca.
Though Woody is a real piece of work, he has made some incredible films. I also love Hannah and Her Sisters.
Happy weekend!
Post a Comment