Friday, January 16, 2009

The Right Stuff -- 25th Anniversary


This afternoon I decided to watch "The Right Stuff" which I had saved from a couple of months ago when AMC was celebrating the 25th anniversary of the movie. I've seen it off & on again over the last 25 years and it is still riveting! Chuck & Glennis Yeager are wonderfully, perfectly portrayed by Sam Shepard & Barbara Hershey. Now I don't know if the Yeagers were as adventurous and exciting as they are portrayed, but it makes a wonderful movie.

Chuck Yeager flew the Bell X-1 nick-named "Glamorous Glennis" after his wife. The plane (which I have seen) hangs in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC. If you are ever in DC go to see the exhibit. The exhibit on naval air carriers is quite exciting to see and an exhibit in which one can participate.

Chuck Yeager - 1st to break the sound barrier at Mach 1. He continued flying and breaking records in the years on the high California desert. As you can see I still (after all these years) think this is a terrific movie!

PS - The Big Chill (09/1983) was released the same year as The Right Stuff (10/1983). Harvey noticed The Big Chill listed as one of my all time favorite movies and wondered why. Even though it is about fictitious characters I thought the characters were well fleshed out & portrayed. I thought I was about 30 when these were made, but to my surprise I find I was almost 37! My how time flies!

No comments: