Texas' capitol building is taller than the U.S. capitol and the largest state capitol in the U.S. Here is a bit of information about it:
I am not a native Texan, but I've been here longer than I was in my native state... and I've been married to two native Texans whose families go back several generations. If you think I like it here ... well, I do!
Massive doesn't begin to describe just how big this is. This is the largest state capitol in the United States, and the fifth tallest. Even so, it's only half as large as its original plan. Like most other state capitols in the U.S., this one is based on the capitol in Washington, DC, though Texans like to boast that it is seven feet taller -- 311 feet to the star in the statue's left hand. The basement and foundation are of limestone, the rest in pink granite -- 15,000 rail cars full. The cornerstone weighs six tons. When it opened, it was the seventh largest building in the world. On the floor of the rotunda are images in marble of the Lone Star, the symbol of Texas, surrounded by symbols of the five countries who have ruled the state (France, Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, and The United States.) The capitol burned in 1983, and was the subject of a huge renovation project in 1990. The former General Land Office building has now been completely taken over as a visitor's center and there are films about the construction of the capitol and its renovation. Part of that renovation included replacing the original zinc statue of the Goddess of Liberty holding a lone star at the top of the dome with one made from aluminum. Another new addition is an underground parking garage and a 615,000 square-foot wing of government offices underground. The only evidence of their existence is an atrium poking out of the gardens. It is referred to as the "shark tank" because of the lawyers who mill about under the glass -- it's the only place in the underground complex their mobile phones will work.
2 comments:
Interesting information. It is so wonderful for us to share so many details about our state of being at this stage in our lives, so much better than any communication we had with pen pals. It's a youthful movement that we are happy to adopt.
I love your rich posts. Keep them up.
sixtyfivewhatnow.blogspot.com
Thank you. It is better than having the traditional pen pals and I love just happening upon someone's blog who is a similar thinker. Maybe one day I'll try someone dis-similar in hopes of keeping the dialogue civil, but it's a scary thing putting ideas & thoughts out in the blog sphere. Thanks again for your comments.
Post a Comment