Thursday, January 29, 2009

Colorado River & a Road Runner




The little Road Runner tried to be cooperative & let me take photos of her (Gerald thinks it is female). She was looking for lunch when we happened along not far from where we saw the Barred Owl last evening. If you click on the photo to enlarge her, you will see some very nice coloration around her eyes. The bottom photo is of a bend in the Colorado River about a mile from our house.

We had a lovely morning looking at birds. Gerald received his birthday present a bit early and we were trying it. I bought an iPod for him and downloaded bird calls, specifically screech owl calls. When the screech owl sounds are played in the wild, birds begin to flock around to see where the owl is located. As we sat on a log Cardinals, Ladder-back Woodpeckers, Kinglets, Wrens, & Chickadees came to see who was in their woods. I didn't get any photos of these birds.

As I said, it was a lovely morning.

6 comments:

Rab said...

The road runner photos are very nice!

Fire Byrd said...

How lovely to be surrounded by all those birds.... even if you did confuse them somewhat.
xx

Rosaria Williams said...

You are having fun, I can see. There is a good variety of fauna and flora where you live. Are you close to open spaces and native habitats?

Cheryl Cato said...

I guess you could say I have access to native habitats. We have woods around our house (even though we're in a sub-division) where deer, coyotes, sometimes foxes, armadillos, rabbits & lots of birds wander around. The Colorado River is about a mile from us & is full of wildlife. Some areas around and through the golf course near the river are very wild. That is where the bob cats live, and the skunks, coyotes, etc. live.
Even though I live in a residential area it is still a bit rugged. It is difficult to keep piney woods under control. We had to cut back the wild grape vines because they were HUGE and growing up & killing some of the pine & oak trees.
I am having fun!

Anonymous said...

I think the Road Runner was very cooperative! How pretty. The bend in the river is so peaceful looking.
I can imagine the birds were trying to see where that screech owl was located and hoping he didn't find them.
It does sound like a lovely morning.
Have a great day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

You take lovely photos the birds are wonderful.